skip to con tent

In this section

State Grants and Scholarships

New York State's Excelsior Scholarship for 2019-2020 - for NEW APPLICANTS

The Excelsior Scholarship application for Academic year 2019 -2020 has ended. If you are a current Excelsior Scholarship recipient you do not have to complete this application again. If you are current Excelsior recipient you must complete the FAFSA application and the TAP application for the each academic year. New York State (NYS) residents attending NYS schools can link directly to the TAP Application from the FAFSA submission confirmation page.

To be eligible for 2019-2020 financially, the combined federal adjusted gross income must be $125,000 or less on the 2017 tax return. A New York State Excelsior Scholarship award will be full tuition minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell, other grants or scholarships.

New FIT students: In order to determine if you qualify for the scholarship please go to the New York State Excelsior Scholarship Application.  

For more information regarding the Excelsior Scholarship, see the  Excelsior Scholarship FAQs on the
HESC website.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Financially dependent students or independent students with dependents, who are legal residents of New York State, whose family's New York State net taxable income on their NYS Income Tax return is less than $80,000, and plan to be or are full-time (registered for a minimum of 12 required credits in your degree program) are eligible for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Awards range from a minimum of $250 up to full tuition (excluding fees) per semester. For more information about student eligibility and requirements you may go to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website to see Student Information.

Part-time students will be considered for Part-time TAP awards or Aid for Part-Time Students Programs (APTS). Financial Aid Services will be able to determine which program part-time students are most eligible to receive.

Students can complete the application for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) after completing the FAFSA and accessing the  the link on the FAFSA Confirmation Page, or by clicking on TAP on the Web. Students who complete a paper FAFSA and list at least one New York State school will receive an Express TAP Application (ETA) in the mail from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) which administers the state programs in New York. This form must be completed, signed, and returned directly to HESC for processing. Be sure that FIT's College Code is listed or you will not receive the funds at FIT.

FIT's New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Codes are:

Lower Division (all Associates Degree students) - 2070
Upper Division (all Bachelor's Degree students) - 0975

For additional information about TAP, including information about Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines for TAP students, please visit Registrar - Tuition Assistance Program

Aid for Part-Time Students Program (APTS)
Part-time New York State students admitted to a degree-granting program and enrolled in required courses for 3 -11.5 credits may apply for the Aid for Part-Time Students Program (APTS) through Financial Aid Services. Students must complete the FAFSA as well as the appropriate forms for this program, which can be download from our Financial Aid Forms page and is also available from Financial Aid Services. For more information about APTS eligibility go to our page New York State Grants - FAQs.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant
Available to students who are legal residents of New York State who are educationally disadvantaged as indicated by their high school records and who meet the financial requirements established by the State. Admission to this program is coordinated by EOP, Admissions, and Financial Aid Services.

The Senator José Peralta New York State DREAM Act

Please visit the HESC website at hesc.ny.gov\dream to view the eligibility requirements for applying under the DREAM Act. To  apply go to the New York State DREAM Act Application.

Other States

Some states have grant programs that enable a student to receive grant monies for out-of-state programs of study.  We suggest you check with your State Education Department to determine if you qualify for aid from your state of residency.  You may find links to your state on the U.S. Department of Education website.