skip to con tent

In this section

State Grants and Scholarships

New York State's Excelsior Scholarship - Spring 2018

The Spring 2018 Application deadline has passed. You may go to the Excelsior Scholarship Fact Sheet and submit your email to be notified when the Fall 2018 Excelsior Scholarship application becomes available. To see more information about this scholarship you may go to the Excelsior Scholarship Application page and the Excelsior Scholarship FAQs

This New York plan will be phased in over three years, beginning for New Yorkers making up to $100,00 annually in the Fall of 2017, increasing to $110,000 in 2018 and reaching $125,000 in 2019.  A New York State resident can receive up to $5,500 from the Excelsior Scholarship, minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell or other scholarships. 

To complete the application you will need:

  • Copies of 2015 New York State income tax return(s) filed by you and your parent(s) or your spouse, as applicable.
  • Your current unofficial college transcript showing the number of credits you earned each year prior to applying for this program if you have previously attended. At FIT you can access an "Unofficial Student Transcript" on the STUDENT tab though MyFIT.
  • Your Student Aid Report (SAR), which you received when you filed your FAFSA. You can go online to fafsa.gov to access an online copy of your SAR.

To see more information about the Excelsior Scholarship you can go to:

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Financially dependent students or independent students with dependents, who are legal residents of New York State, whose family's New York State net taxable income on their NYS Income Tax return is less than $80,000, and plan to be or are full-time (registered for a minimum of 12 required credits in your degree program) are eligible for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Awards range from a minimum of $250 up to full tuition (excluding fees) per semester. For more information about student eligibility and requirements you may go to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation website to see Student Eligibility Information.

Part-time students will be considered for Part-time TAP awards or Aid for Part-Time Students Programs (APTS). Financial Aid Services will be able to determine which program part-time students are most eligible to receive.

Students can complete the application for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) after completing the FAFSA and accessing the  the link on the FAFSA Confirmation Page, or by clicking on TAP on the Web. Students who complete a paper FAFSA and list at least one New York State school will receive an Express TAP Application (ETA) in the mail from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) which administers the state programs in New York. This form must be completed, signed, and returned directly to HESC for processing. Be sure that FIT's College Code is listed or you will not receive the funds at FIT.

FIT's New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Codes are:

Lower Division (all Associates Degree students) - 2070
Upper Division (all Bachelor's Degree students) - 0975

For additional information about TAP, including information about Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines for TAP students, please visit Registrar - Tuition Assistance Program

Aid for Part-Time Students Program (APTS)
Part-time New York State students admitted to a degree-granting program and enrolled in required courses for 3 -11.5 credits may apply for the Aid for Part-Time Students Program (APTS) through Financial Aid Services. Students must complete the FAFSA as well as the appropriate forms for this program, which can be download from our FORMS page and is also available from Financial Aid Services. For more information about APTS eligibility go to our page New York State Grants - FAQs.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant
Available to students who are legal residents of New York State who are educationally disadvantaged as indicated by their high school records and who meet the financial requirements established by the State. Admission to this program is coordinated by EOP, Admissions, and Financial Aid Services.

Other States
Some states have grant programs that enable a student to receive grant monies for out-of-state programs of study.  We suggest you check with your State Education Department to determine if you qualify for aid from your state of residency.  You may find links to your state on the U.S. Department of Education website.