F I T civility initiative
Pledge your support!
Fill out the online pledge card.
Post your image on Instagram and/or Twitter and use #FITcivility to show your pledge!
FIT’s civility initiative is aimed at engaging our community in a discussion of respectful ways of living and learning in a higher education environment. FIT encourages our community to behave with civility. A community upholding civility respects the rights of individuals and groups. It is characterized by understanding and considerations of the differences among members of the community. The diversity of the college adds to the richness of campus life, and FIT expects all members of the community to respect both differences and commonalities. See this semester's activities below, and please share your ideas and thoughts by emailing Civility Matters.
Watch the coverage from Spring Convocation with opening comments from President Joyce F. Brown on Civility with special guest speaker Dr. Janie Hardin Fritz. See the Spring Convocation powerpoint presentation.
Spring 2018 Activities
- guest speaker for convocation
- creation of a Presidential Civility Award for faculty
- reinstallation of the "Impactful Language" exhibition in the Feldman Center
- Diversity Ambassador program
- social media campaign to promote FIT civility
- ongoing training seminars conducted by the Chief Diversity Officer
- kindness campaigns by the Office Student Life
- faculty questionnaire on civil discourse and classroom management
- stipend program for faculty to conduct research on aspects of civil discourse
- faculty/student/staff exhibition on civility and community