skip to con tent

In this section


What if my friend is in a crisis?

During Counseling Center hours call 212 217.4260 or walk over and tell the receptionist you need help for a friend. Our receptionist will connect you with the triage counselor who will consult with you about the best plan.

After hours and on weekends, if you are living on campus you should contact your Residence Hall Director or call Campus Security. If you are living off campus, the safest thing to do is to go to the nearest hospital emergency room or call 911.

What if I need more than a limited number of sessions?

There are several options:

1.  You and the counselor decide this right away and help arrange a referral to an outside counselor for long term counseling.
2.  You and your counselor plan to use some individual sessions in the Counseling Center and continue to assess your needs and then help you arrange to see an outside therapist.
3.  Occasionally, when an outside referral is not appropriate or cannot be worked out, we will provide longer term treatment as medically indicated.