There are numerous websites that have excellent articles on job searching and careers. Some of the best websites include:
CAREER SERVICES HANDOUTS
- Organizing Your Job Hunt
- Resume Guide
- Cover Letter Guide
- Prepare for the Interview
- How to Negotiate Your Salary
- Evaluating A Job Offer
For more handouts, please visit our office in Room B202.
- Resources for Workers with Disabilities.
- FIT Library's extensive Career bibliography, Career Internet Guide and their excellent Career Research Guides available online at http://fitnyc.libguides.com/careers and the complete list of FIT Library's Research Guides (LibGuides).
- FIT General Counsel's recommended list of legal referrals: www.fitnyc.edu/general-counsel/personal-referrals.php.
- NYPL(New York Public Library)Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) Resources and NYPL SIBL Resource: Careers.
- Freelancersunion.org, a national membership organization (membership is free) that offers support and advocacy for freelancers via resources, templates, live events, group insurance plans, a community area and other perks of interest to self-employed independent workers.
FASHION - GENERAL
- www.fgi.org - The Fashion Group International is a global non-profit association of over 6,000 professionals of achievement and influence representing all areas of the fashion, apparel, accessories, beauty and home industries.
- www.fashioncenter.com - The Fashion Center Business Improvement District, an excellent fashion resource in NYC.
- FIT Library's Fashion Research Guides (by Subject) and other resources.
- WWD - Often called "the fashion bible," Women's' Wear Daily serves as the voice of authority, international newswire and agent of change for the fashion, beauty and retail industries.
- Just-Style.com - The online portal for apparel/textile industry professionals around the world. Just-style.com has developed into one of the most respected and fastest growing apparel/textile trade sites around.
- Check out StyleCareers.com's networking website for students.
ART AND DESIGN
- www.genart.com - Gen Art is the leading arts and entertainment organization dedicated to showcasing emerging fashion designers, filmmakers, musicians and visual artists.
- www.vlany.org - Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts provides of pro bono legal services, education and advocacy to the New York arts community.
- www.nyfa.org - The New York Foundation for the Arts provides a free national resource for visual, media, performing, and literary artists and for those who support them in any way.
- FIT Library's The Business of Art & Design Research Guide.
ADVERTISING AND MARKETING
- www.mediabistro.com - a web site dedicated to everyone who creates or works with content, or who is a non-creative professional working in a content/creative industry.
- FIT Library's Advertising & Media Communications Research Guide.
SEMINARS & WORKSHOPS
Free Media Seminar Series
The Center for Communication offers an excellent media seminar series which is free to students.
NYFA (New York Foundation for the Arts) Workshops for Artists
NYFA offers a variety of professional development workshops, panels, and conferences for artists working in all disciplines. The workshops provide artists at all experience levels with professional development on a wide variety of aspects concerning their life, art work, and professional career in the arts.
Visit the NYFA website:http://www.nyfa.org