Over 8% of the student population at FIT comes from outside the United States. We are proud to be a diverse institution preparing students for a global economy.
When applying to FIT, here are a few additional items to consider.
Applicants who attended secondary or post-secondary school(s) outside the U.S. must have their credentials from those schools evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services at www.naces.org. To ensure that your evaluation includes all of the information that FIT requires, please note:
- FIT's requirements may differ from the evaluator's country-specific requirements
- FIT requires secondary school documents from all applicants, including transfer applicants who have completed post-secondary study
- All schools attended must be listed on the NACEs member application
*All applicants educated outside the U.S. are required to have their credentials evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
ATTENTION: Evaluations constitute non-binding advisory opinions only. Where FIT's assessment of any credential(s) differs from that the evaluator, FIT makes all final determinations regarding course/grade/credit/GPA equivalencies, degree equivalencies, and the award of any transfer credit for coursework completed (as provided in FIT's transfer credit evaluation).
Applicants with three-year bachelor's degrees:
Regardless of the outcome of the evaluation, FIT does not recognize the three-year bachelor's degree (from India, for example) as equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.
A current TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score is required.
TOEFL: A minimum TOEFL IBT score of 80 must be met.
- IELTS: A minimum band score of 6.5 in the academic module must be met.
- PTE: A minimum score of 53 must be met.
- The score must be no more than two years old from the date of anticipated enrollment.
- Applicants who have completed an English composition course at a college in the U.S. are not exempt from taking the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
- Students who have completed less than four years of English (not ESL) at a U.S. high school are required to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
- For information about scheduling the TOEFL exam and obtaining score reports, visit www.ets.org/toefl. In the U.S. you may call 1.609.771.7100.
- For information about scheduling the IELTS and obtaining score reports, visit www.ielts.org.
- For information about scheduling the PTE and obtaining score reports, visit www.pearsonpte.com
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. must provide a permanent home mailing address outside the U.S. Please provide a temporary mailing address where you wish us to mail correspondence. You should also indicate whether you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
International students requiring F-1 student status to study at FIT will need to submit the International Student Financial Statement (ISFS) after they have been admitted. This is the only document accepted by FIT for issuance of the I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status), which is needed to apply for an F-1 visa.
For more information on obtaining an F-1 visa:
FIT does not accept the following forms included in the SUNY application: FSA-2 (Autobiographical Essay), FSA-3 (English Proficiency Report), and FSA-4 (Foreign Student Financial Statement).
For more information: