skip to con tent

In this section

Non-Degree Students

As non-degree students, you have three options to register for any English, math, or science course.

A. If you have taken the SAT or ACT:

You can submit SAT or ACT scores electronically.

Please click here to see English and math course placement based on SAT and/or ACT scores.

If English is not your native language and you would like to take one of FIT's ESL courses, you may register for any of them (except ES024). For further information, please consult the catalog or contact someone in the Educational Skills Department in B602, 212 217.5250 or by email at

B. If you have NOT taken the SAT or ACTOR if your SAT or ACT scores are more than three years old:

You may take a placement exam to determine your English, math, or science placement. To schedule a placement test, you need to go through the MyFIT portal. Please read the additional instructions. After you have taken your exams, you will be able to view results through the same link.

Additional Instructions:

1. Go to Type in your username and password. Your username is your first_lastname. Your password is your birthday as follows: Jun081986 (first letter is capital, followed by a lower case letter for a total of three letters. Two digits for day and four digits for the year.)

2. On the following screen, click on the "Student Services" tab at the top. Click on "Online Resources." Click on "Click to enter." Click on "Placement Test Scheduling and Results."

If you experience technical difficulties with scheduling your placement tests, please contact the IT for FIT Customer Service at 212 217.HELP.

TESTING FEES - A $25 testing fee for the English and arithmetic placement tests will be billed to your student account. DO NOT BRING PAYMENT TO THE TEST!!!

You may change your appointment at no cost up to the starting time of the test. Simply register for a new time. However, if you fail to cancel your appointment before that testing session begins, you will be charged and you will also have to pay for the testing session you do attend.

C. If you have previously taken college-level English, science, or math courses at a regionally accredited college or university:

You may be able to waive placement testing. Bring copies of your transcript to the Office of the Dean of Liberal Arts in B623 and have it evaluated.