Developing a Course
- If you wish to develop a new course or revise a course, your first action is to develop a course of study for this new or revised course. You will need to discuss this with the chairperson of your department.
- Review these resources:
Recommended Curriculum Committee Guidelines for a Course of Study
The CET website for assistance in writing learning outcomes and the Writing & Speaking Studio for writing new courses of study.
This Course of Study template (.doc)
- Email the Office of Curriculum at [email protected] with your new course proposal and any relevant supporting information. The Office of Curriculum will complete the relevant CourseLeaf form and submit the action into the Course Inventory Management (CIM) system workflow. If information is required, the office will contact the originator.
- If you are creating a special topics course, please review the Special Topics Operational Guidance page prior to submitting a new special topics course.
- FIT offers a number of interdisciplinary/team-taught courses. For more information on Interdicsiplincary courses, see the page on Interdisciplinary/Team-taught courses at FIT.
Please be mindful that courses submitted in the Fall semester will not be available for registration until the following Fall semester. Please refer to the FIT Curricular Calendar for meeting dates.
The workflow for course and program changes is as follows:
- The department chair recommends action on behalf of department.
- The school dean recommends action on behalf of the school.
- The college-wide curriculum committee recommends action.
- The registrar reviews action for Banner input.
- Academic Affairs notifies the chairs and deans of approval.
- The Dean's Council approves.
- Banner and relevant catalog pages are updated.