Access Policy & Hours (Recorded Message) - 212.217.4340
Reference Services (to make an appointment or ask questions about using the FIT Library) 212.217.4400
The Library grants access to qualified researchers after determination that Library collections meet the researcher's needs. Please call the Reference Desk at 212.217.4400, identify yourself, and briefly explain your research needs to our Reference faculty.
Appointments are scheduled for any day that the FIT Library is open. Visitors are asked to let us know their expected arrive time and to arrive a minimum of 1 hour before the closing of the 4th and 6th floors (see schedule details)
The Library offers self-service photocopying and computer printing; please bring cash (bills only) to add money onto a copying/printing card which will be given to you upon request.
Visitors must meet College security regulations which govern access to College buildings:
- Photo ID [currently valid] is required to enter the Goodman Center. Visitors will be given a Library Visitorís pass by the Security officer.
- Once in the Goodman Center, take the elevator to the 5th Floor. Access to the 4th and 6th Floors within the library is only via the inner stairwell from the 5th Floor.
Visitors have access to most materials & services at the Library, but there are a few exceptions. Note: This list is subject to change without notice.
- General computer access for internet, e-mail or word processing, and WiFi / wireless network access are not available for visitors. We allow access to online databases using designated computers on the 4th floor only. Use of library computers is for research purposes only but we can refer you to nearby facilities (a public library or commercial operation) for other needs. There are free-standing scanners available for visitors on a first come-first served basis; Bring a USB flash drive to scan and save.
- Because of licensing restrictions, some print and online materials are for use by currently-registered FIT students and faculty only. These include print and online forecasting & trend services (Doneger Creative Services, WGSN, etc.) and some media and market research studies (MRI, Mintel, etc).
- Visitors may only use materials in the Library; borrowing for outside the Library is not permitted.
- Database resources are not available remotely outside the Library. We can recommend Online Resources for Non-FIT Students.
- Items at Library service desks will only be checked out to a visitor (for in-library use) while the Library holds a currently valid government-issued photo ID to ensure return of materials.
The Library reserves the right to refuse to grant access privileges to any person who fails to observe library regulations. Visitors who engage in noisy or disruptive behavior, or who are using Library facilities for purely recreational purposes, may be asked to leave.
Advance appointments required for the following:
- FIT graduates & alumni, including FIT Alumni Association members.
- Readers with a Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) referral card, including City University of New York [CUNY] and other regional colleges & universities.
- Members of the Museum at FIT
- Qualified researchers
- Graduate students & faculty from other schools which are not State University of New York [SUNY] or Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO)
Appointments not required for the following:
- SUNY faculty, staff, and students [current, validated school ID is required]
- High School of the Fashion Industries students [current, validated school ID is required]
- Although appointments are not required for these groups, we suggest that you call the Reference Desk 212.217.4400 prior to your visit to verify that the Library is open when you plan to visit and that resources you need are available in the Library.
Appointments not available for the following:
- Students at high school level or below, except students at the High School of Fashion Industries
- Non-FIT undergraduate students who are pursuing class assignments except for SUNY or METRO referral students. These students should contact reference librarians at their own school/college.