What to Bring
What should you pack?
What are the orientation requirements?
Check out our move-in video!
You will be moving into a room furnished with:
- a bed (standard twin size mattress)
- desk and chair
- computer jack--Each resident will have an Ethernet computer connection and wireless service. Wireless routers etc. are not allowed in the residence halls. Refer to instructions for configuring your computer @ IT 4 FIT.
Suites also include a dining table with chairs, bathroom and a kitchen. NO ADDITIONAL FURNITURE IS ALLOWED.
DO NOT BRING TOO MUCH STUFF. Remember living space in NYC is very limited and the residence halls are no exception. Your room already has the essentials and there is no storage space for belongings. Seasonal clothing can be shipped back and forth from home.
Emergency Preparedness and “Go Bags”
FIT’s Residence Halls have weathered two hurricanes in the past two years and we encourage residents to be prepared in the case of an emergency. Being prepared is as simple as planning ahead. FIT Residential Life encourages every resident assemble a “Go Bag” with items they can use in the event of an emergency or evacuation. Go Bags should be sturdy, lightweight and portable, such as a backpack. Go Bags should be easily accessible and ready to go at any time. Some Go Bag basics include:
- A flashlight
- Important documents and Identification
- Cash, in small denominations
- Feminine supplies/personal hygiene items
- Glasses/contact lens items
- Weather appropriate clothing
Things You Should Bring
- bed linens: blanket, pillow, pillowcase, sheets (standard twin size)
- laundry bag
- alarm clock
- co-axial cable/cable splitter
- clothes hangers
- bathrobe, slippers, towels
- ethernet cord (see computer connections)
- toiletries: soap dish, soap, toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoo
- cleaning supplies
- lamp (non-halogen)
- stereo and television (bring headphones so you do not disturb others)
- kitchen/bath cleaning supplies/toilet paper etc.
- cooking utensils: pots, pans etc.
- dishes, flatware
- microwave oven
- standard plastic shower curtain/curtain hooks.
Things To Leave at Home
The following are NOT ALLOWED in TRADITIONAL style rooms with mandatory meal plans in Coed and Nagler Halls:
- refrigerators (suites are equipped with a stove and refrigerator)
- microwave oven (allowed in suites only)
- coffee makers
*cooking is forbidden in traditional residence hall rooms
The following are NOT ALLOWED in ANY rooms:
- window fan
- wireless routers, etc.
- amplified instruments or drum sets
- weapons, explosives or fireworks
- fire hazards: halogen lamp, candles, incense, sun lamp, heat lamp, portable heater
- alcohol, drugs, illegal substances and paraphernalia