Non-FIT Interns FAQs
What is the cost for Non-FIT Intern Housing?
- "Shared" apartment is: $3,381.00 per person from May 27, 2013 – August 4, 2013
- "Single" apartment is: $5,378.00 per person from May 27, 2013 – August 4, 2013
are the requirements for Non-FIT interns?
- Must be 18 years or over (proof of age required)
- Must show proof of current college course enrollment (Spring 2013)
- Must show proof of internship in New York City (see below)
- Must pay for the entire summer housing program
- Must complete orientation questionnaire with a passing grade
What are acceptable documents needed to qualify as a Non-FIT Intern?
Proof of internship in NYC (submit one of the following):
- An email sent to you directly from your NYC internship contact person. The email should contain the company name/logo and contact person's full name and phone number.
- A letter from your NYC internship contact person on company letter head. This letter must be addressed to you using your first and last name.
Proof of age (18 years of age or older) (submit one of the following):
- Valid Driver's License
- Valid Passport
- Valid Non-Drivers ID
- Birth Certificate
Proof of college course enrollment (submit one of the following):
- Current Spring 2013 tuition bill from your college/university
- Transcript from your college/university for Spring 2013
- Spring 2013 bill from your college/university’s website (must have school logo/name)
5. I have already applied for housing as a Non-FIT Interns, how do I sign in to upload my documents?
To upload your documents please click here. Your username is the email address you entered on your original application and your password is your date of birth entered as the two digit month,date and year (ex: 022789)
When will I know if my summer housing is approved?
You will not be approved until all required documents have been submitted.
After submitting your application and uploading all required documents you will receive an email within 3 to 5 business days to advise you whether or not you have been approved for summer housing.
How do I pay for housing?
Once you are approved you will receive an email from us within 3 to 5 business days with instructions to pay by credit card online. This is the only form of payment that will be accepted. Payment is due in full.
I have submitted payment and received confirmation. What is the next step?
You will receive an email from Residential Life with specific instructions regarding check-in procedures.
When is check-in?
Check-in for Non-FIT Interns is Monday, May 27, 2013 from 10:00AM-4:00PM and Tuesday, May 28, 2013 from 10:00AM- 4:00PM.
Will I have a roommate(s)?
If you have applied for a "shared" apartment, it is recommended that you choose your own roommate; however, if you do not know anyone you would like to live with, a roommate will be assigned to you based on your age and gender. We do not assign males and females in the same room.
Am I allowed to have
an overnight visitor/guest during the summer and is there a fee?
Yes, during the summer overnight visitation is limited to 8 nights per 30 days not exceeding 2 consecutive nights. The charge for an overnight visitor/guest is $10.00 per person per night. Overnight visitors are considered anyone visiting between 12AM-8AM and MUST be Pre-registered. All other overnight visitation rules and regulations apply.
12. How do I pre-register my overnight visitors/guests?
All overnight visitors/guests must be pre-registered prior to their arrival, without pre-registration your guests will not be allowed in the halls. Please click here to register your guests.
13. How do I pre-pay for my overnight visitors/guests?
- Non-FIT Interns can pre-pay by signing on the Non-Student Payment System. Please click here to submit payment.
- You will need your Non-FIT Intern user name and password. Your user name is the email address listed on your Non-FIT Intern application and your password is your date of birth listed as the two digit month, date and year. For example: 022789
- Please note: Pre-paying for your guest DOES NOT guarantee that you will be approved. You must also register your guest before 6PM on their day of arrival (see “How to Pre-register Overnight Guest” above)
- Your guest will be denied if payment is not submitted by 6PM on the date of your guest’s arrival
What residence halls are available for summer interns?
Kaufman Hall is available for Non-FIT interns from May 27, 2013 to August 4, 2013.
Are Non-FIT Interns allowed to pay an additional fee to move in early or stay
beyond the contracted date?
We are not able to accommodate anyone before Monday, May 27, 2013 or after August 4, 2013.
Will I be given a refund if I no longer want to stay at FIT?
No, there are NO REFUNDS for summer housing. Please be sure you would like to stay prior to submitting payment.
17. If I move in late or move out early, will I be given a lower rate?
No, housing rates are not prorated in the summer. Please plan accordingly to take advantage of your contracted dates of stay.
18. Where is FIT located?
Fashion Institute of Technology
406 West 31st Street
New York, NY 10001
Directions to Fashion Institute of Technology
19. What furniture is provided in the apartments/suites?
All suites consist of furnished rooms, kitchen and private bath. Each apartment has 2-4 twin beds, a desk, armoire, and chest of drawers. You must provide your own kitchen supplies, linens, pillows and blankets. Click here to view pictures of Kaufman Hall.
20. Is alcohol allowed in the residence halls?
No. FIT is a dry campus. Alcohol and/or drugs are prohibited, this includes paraphernalia.