The program offers students the opportunity to enhance their skills in the following areas: couture sewing techniques and embellishments, couture garment construction, and couture design. Upon completion of the certificate, students will be able to:
- Understand and use appropriate couture tools and supplies and their applications;
- Identify couture fabrics, interlinings, support materials, trimmings, decorative techniques and embellishments;
- Understand muscular and skeletal functions of the human body, differentiate various body types and use in measurement-taking and custom fitting;
- Employ couture construction techniques such as seams, hems, inner construction, and finishing techniques to design haute couture garments and develop a portfolio; and
- Discuss history of haute couture and current trends.
Graduates of this program may be employed by design houses, couturiers, and custom tailors, or as entrepreneurs in their own couture houses.
Curriculum (13 credits):
AP 242 Haute Couture Sewing Techniques
AP 243 Haute Couture Decorative Techniques & Embellishments
AP 244 Haute Couture Construction and Technology
AP 275 Haute Couture Apparel Design
AR 292 Haute Couture Portfolio
Students entering the program must have completed the required prerequisite courses or have demonstrated the equivalent proficiencies, and possess proficiencies beyond entry level prior to registration.
Have further questions?
- Request more information about this certificate program
- View current course offerings
- Tuition & fee costs (multiply your tuition rate by the number of credits above)
For course specific information contact:
Cynthia Underwood, advisor
Business and Liberal Arts Center, Room B701