NOTE: These instructions are for portfolio preparation only. Do not submit or mail any portfolio items to FIT until you have applied and received your USERNAME, PASSWORD, and LOGIN INSTRUCTIONS in an email from the FIT Admissions Office.
Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree
The Photography portfolio submission consists of a design test and written essays. We want to understand your creative process in both written and visual components and although we prefer to see photographs in your portfolio presentation that you have processed and printed yourself, commercially finished photographs are acceptable if you do not have access to a darkroom or digital lab.
Your work should be organized and image quality should be consistent and represent areas of personal interest to you. You do not have to show what you consider to be fashion or advertising images. Assemble your work to tell us what you would like us to know about you and your particular vision of the world.
Our evaluation of your work will be based on the following criteria:
- Your sense of design, imagination and creativity.
- Your interest in diverse types of subject matter.
- A willingness to be experimental (whether successful or not on the first attempt).
- Your ability to communicate complex ideas visually.
- The organization, neatness and care that you take in presenting your portfolio.
PART 1: Design Test
PROJECT ONE: PHOTOGRAPHY EXAM
Submit six (6) images that visually describe a person or an object by photographing he/she/it in six different ways. These are to be new images specifically shot for this test. All images should be distinctly different from each other.
PROJECT TWO: PORTFOLIO
Submit a minimum of 12 photographs that represent you as a photographer. These images should be from your portfolio.
PART 2: Written Essays
Answer the following questions:
- Have you seen a museum/gallery photography show or photographic magazine spread that made an impression on you in the last year? Explain why in a minimum of 200 words.
- Please describe your photographic education/experience in a minimum of 200 words.
- In a minimum of 500 words, identify two photographers who have influenced your photography. Briefly describe how this influence has shaped your work. Cite specific examples.
Please also refer to our general Portfolio Requirements page.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree
Candidates for the Photography BFA program, you must submit a portfolio of your work.
Your portfolio should include at least 20-25 images. If you have made photo essays or longer series of work, we would like to see the entire projects.
Construct your portfolio so we can see where you are as a creative artist. Present the imagery that's most important to you.We are looking for creativity, willingness to experiment, technical competency, attention to detail, and a sustained commitment to the medium of photography.
For more information on portfolio requirements for the BFA program, please contact Admissions at FITinfo@fitnyc.edu.