NOTE: These instructions are for portfolio preparation only. Do not submit or mail any portfolio items to FIT until you have applied and received your USERNAME, PASSWORD, and LOGIN INSTRUCTIONS in an email from the FIT Admissions Office.
Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree
The Fashion Design portfolio submission consists of a design test, a sewing test, and a written essay. Construction knowledge should be represented in both your design sketches and garment images. Originality, creativity, and design aesthetic are valued.
PART ONE: Design Test
PROJECT ONE: MIX-AND-MATCH DESIGNS
1. Create a mood/inspiration page for the following mix-and-match designs. The mood page should include an image(s) that has inspired you to create these designs. Include a short written explanation of how the designs have been inspired by the mood page image(s). Also list the destination and season of the year in which these designs will be worn.
2. Draw original garment designs in color using the medium of your choice. Show mix-and-match separates that work together.
- design a jacket
- design a top (use the top twice, once on each figure)
- design a pant
- design a skirt
Sketch the designs in color on two figures. Include back views of the garments on a figure or as a flat sketch. Attach actual fabric swatches and identify the fabrics on the front of the sketches. NOTE: Original artwork can be computer generated. REMINDER: Only color copies are to be submitted for this project.
PROJECT TWO: FASHION DESIGN ARTWORK
Submit four sketches of your original fashion design artwork.
- Draw original designs in color using the medium of your choice. NOTE: Original artwork can be computer generated. Include a short written explanation of the inspiration. Design sketches are to be on full-length fashion figures with back views.
- Include 2 inch x 2 inch fabric swatches on the front of each sketch, identify the type of fabric (e.g. 100% wool gabardine).
- Include a short written explanation of the inspiration.
- NOTE: Only color copies of your sketches are to be submitted.
PART TWO: Sewing Test
PROJECT THREE: GARMENT SAMPLES
Submit photographs of a maximum of three garments you have sewn (include front and back views). Samples are to demonstrate knowledge of construction. Originality, creativity, and design aesthetic are valued. Clothing is to be photographed on a person or dress mannequin. Garments can be created from commercial patterns or you can develop your own patterns or drape the design. Garment examples should be sewn. Do not show existing garments that have just been decorated.
PART THREE: Written Essay
In 250 words or less, provide an example of when your point of view differed from a teacher or employer during an evaluation of your performance. How did you handle the situation?
Please also see our general Portfolio Requirements page.
You must submit a portfolio if:
- you have an AAS in Fashion Design from FIT, and your overall GPA is below 3.0
- you are an external candidate, with credits or a degree from an institution other than FIT
Your portfolio should consist of representative artwork from your Fashion Design classes. It should reflect your advanced knowledge, skill, and creativity. After you have applied and your application has been reviewed for eligibility by the FIT Admissions Office, you will receive additional information regarding your portfolio.