Who is eligible for counseling services?
- Any currently registered FIT student (full or part time) is eligible for counseling services.
How much does it cost for counseling?
- There is no charge for all eligible students.
Are services confidential?
- Yes, all services are completely confidential. No information is shared with any other person or office without your written consent. The exception to this is if we need to keep someone safe from harm (either yourself or someone else).
How do I get started with counseling services?
- You would come to the Counseling Center office to complete some screening forms. The forms are reviewed by Counseling Center staff who will then give you an intake appointment with one of the clinicians on staff. Or, you can call the Counseling Center 212.217.4260 for an intake appointment.
What happens next?
- The purpose of the intake appointment will be to determine how to best meet your needs. You may be recommended for individual therapy at the Counseling Center, or you may be referred for therapeutic services in the community.
What happens if I am referred to a community clinic?
- Counseling Center will provide you with a referral list for outpatient clinics and offices in your area. Many of these clinics have low cost and sliding scale fees. If you have your own health insurance coverage, you will likely be covered for these services. In addition, if you are a full time student, and don't have your own insurance, you will need to have basic student health insurance which provides coverage for outpatient mental health services. For further information regarding student health insurance, please contact Gallagher Koster at 1.800.457.5599 or email Studentcare@Kosterins.com.
What if I can't make an appointment?
- We ask that you call the clinic ahead of time to cancel an appointment if you cannot make the scheduled time. We try to accommodate as many as possible and broken appointments limit the number of students we can see. Consequently, if appointments are repeatedly missed without prior notification, future appointment times cannot be guaranteed.