The FIT Global Scholar Award Program provides funds to supplement the costs of studying abroad in Summer 2015, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016.
These awards can be used for any FIT Study Abroad program for which the student receives at least 12 academic credits towards their degree per semester OR a minimum of 2 credits for summer study.
For Semester or Yearlong Applications:
- Two (2) awards up to $5,000 for students who are residents of New York City and graduates of New York City high schools.
- Five (5) awards up to $3,000 for all eligible students
For Summer Applications:
- One (1) award up to $3,000 for students who are residents of New York City and graduates of New York City high schools.
- Four (4) awards up to $2,000 for all eligible students
The FIT Global Scholar Award is competitive and can be granted in addition to other federally funded or FIT Foundation awards.
Students applying for this award must:
- be enrolled full time in an FIT degree program
- have applied for Financial Aid or are planning to have demonstrated need
- be US citizens or permanent residents
- Apply for a study abroad program
- Complete the additional FIT Global Scholar Award application including an additional statement. This application is found under the Scholarships & Awards tab of the Study Abroad application website. The award statement you provide will be a significant factor in the review of your application for this award. Your statement must include a response to each of the following:
- Tell us about past experiences that make you eager to study abroad
- Tell us about your experiences and values and how they would make you an effective FIT representative abroad.
- When you return, in what ways would you be an effective ambassador within the FIT community to promote intercultural understanding and encourage the importance of studying abroad
For help with your GSA award statement contact the Writing Studio located at B612.
Note: Students may apply for a Global Scholar Award even if they have not yet been accepted into their chosen Study Abroad program. However, the awards shall be released with proof that the student has been accepted to an authorized Study Abroad program and confirmation that the student is actually able to participate in the program. In the event that an awardee shall withdraw from the Study Abroad Program for any reason the award will be rescinded.
Upon return from study abroad program, awardees will be expected to submit an essay about their experiences & assist with FIT Study Abroad program promotion.
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1ST for programs in Summer 2015, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016.
Students in the Presidential Scholars Program are eligible to apply for the following study abroad scholarships during their sophomore or junior year.
- Jerome L. Greene Foundation International Studies Fund (up to $10,000)
- Jodi Tilton Memorial Scholarship for Summer Study Abroad ($2000)
- Henry Wolf Presidential Scholars Summer Abroad Scholarship (up to $5000)
- Michael Kors Endowed Scholarship at FIT (Fashion Design majors, BFA)
- Rothman Scholarship
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Program
- AASAP/UK Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship (UK Abroad only)
- Boren Awards for International Study
- Institute of International Education - Study Abroad Funding
- External Scholarships
- Scholarships Portal EU (Europe Abroad Scholarship Search)
- Fund for Education Abroad
Financial Aid Rewards from FIT could be any combination of the following: