In keeping with the mission of the School of Graduate Studies, the Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice program:
- provides students with the knowledge and experience necessary for the varied kinds of careers in public and private textile-related collections, auction houses, textile dealerships, publications, and archives;
- develops studentsí research, writing, critical thinking, organizational and technological abilities through courses that integrate theory and practice;
- exposes students to their chosen profession through internships, guest lectures, museum visits, and other opportunities for experiential learning;
- fosters leadership and innovative thinking through scholarship, research, and professional development;
- provides students with a multifaceted educational experience that incorporates the vast resources of New York City, including the Gladys Marcus Library (Special Collections) and the Museum at FIT;
- provides an education of exceptional quality and affordability at an urban graduate school of the State University of New York.