November 07, 2011 - November 11, 2011Diversity Passport: Exploring and Bridging Global Connections
November 7-11, 2011 at FIT
The Diversity Council of the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) is pleased to announce Diversity Expo 2011, taking place at FIT on Monday, November 7 through Friday, November 11, 2011. This year’s expo, Diversity Passport: Exploring and Bridging Global Connections, will focus on international diversity.
“In today’s world, it is crucial that our students, faculty, and employees value a broadened understanding of diversity to include an international perspective on FIT’s global community,” said Griselda Gonzalez, affirmative action officer and acting director of compliance at FIT and co-chair of the Diversity Council. “We hope to achieve that by exploring and bridging global connections through the lens of the arts, careers, curriculum, social media, and technology, to name a few examples of the diverse areas that impact our students’ and employees’ futures.”
All events are free and open to FIT faculty, employees, and students. Selected events are also open to the public. For the complete schedule with times and locations, go to www.fitnyc.edu/diversity.
Monday, November 7
- Veterans Parade and Voter Registration
- Sourcing, Sustainability and Human Rights
- Creating an Inclusive Mindset at Abercrombie & Fitch: Broadening Perspectives, Making Global Connections
- Macy’s Diversity Strategy
- India Festival, featuring the cuisine, fashion, music, and theater of India
- Writing Gender Around the Globe
- Diversity Expo Faculty Panel (Faculty Only)
- Taste Diversity: From Diversity Soup to Inclusion Salad
Wednesday, November 9
- Diversity in the Workplace: Women Breaking into Sectors Traditionally Held by Men
- Is Islamaphobia Fashionable?
- International Dance Festival and Music Expo
Thursday, November 10
- Your Global Connection: How Microloans Are Helping the Poor and Also Promoting Diversity
- Diversity Amongst VF Corporation
- 22nd Annual FIT Student Foreign Language Poetry Recitation Competition: Awards Ceremony
- Depesha: Breaking the Stereotype
Friday, November 11
- Social Networking Tools: Enriching Teaching and Learning (Faculty Only)
A video titled Conversations Across Cultures will run continuously all week in the lobby of the Marvin Feldman Center. Also on display will be ceiling danglers inspired by the Diversity Passport theme by third semester students in the Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design program.
The Diversity Council seeks to foster a climate of inclusion within the FIT community. The Council encourages all aspects of personal development and growth within this inclusive environment, helping individuals to achieve their potential though diverse relations within the college community.