Each year, campus presidents establish a selection committee, which reviews exemplary members of their college communities who are graduating. Nominees are then forwarded to the Chancellorís Office and are subject to a second round of review. Finalists are then recommended to the Chancellor to become recipients of the Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
SUNY annually honors approximately 300 students from all 64 campuses throughout the State University of New York for their student achievements. Recipients of this award annually exhibit a Grade Point Average of over 3.7 and impressive records of significant contributions to their campuses and communities. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
2014 FIT recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence:
- Monike Bartley-Williams, from Thornton Heath, Surrey in the United Kingdom, is graduating from FIT in May with a BS degree in Production Management in Fashion Related Industries. A FIT Production Management Club VP, Ms. Bartley-Williams maintains a GPA of 3.5. Some of Ms. Bartley-Williams many co-curricular achievements include serving as a Senior Resident Assistant and also as Manager of Films for the FIT Student Association.
- Jaime Duncan, from Massapequa, NY, is graduating from FIT in May with a BS degree in Fashion Merchandising Management. Ms. Duncan maintains a GPA of 3.83 and was the recipient of the Barnes and Noble ďPursue Your PassionĒ Grant for organizing a volunteer mural painting project at the American Hospital of Paris in June-July 2012. Some of Ms. Duncanís many co-curricular achievements include winning the Retail Futures Challenge at the World Retail Congress held in Paris in October 2013 and participating in the London Internship Program in May-June 2013.
- Hyuna (Helen) Na, from Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, is graduating from FIT in May with a BFA degree in Packaging Design. Co-President of the Packaging Design Club, Ms. Na maintains a GPA of 3.78. Some of Ms. Naís many co-curricular achievements include serving as Treasurer of the FIT Student Association Executive Board and as a FIT Resident Assistant.
- Elizabeth Halberstadt, from Indianapolis, IN, is graduating from FIT in May with a BFA degree in Fabric Styling. Having also completed three minors at FIT in English, Film Studies, and Art History, Ms. Halberstadt maintains a GPA of 3.69 and was the recipient of the Barnes and Nobleís ďPursue Your PassionĒ Grant for teaching English in Crete. Some of Ms. Halberstadtís many co-curricular achievements include contributing writing and research reports to Stylesight, a trend forecasting agency.
- Fernanda DeSouza, from Bethpage, NY, is graduating from FIT in May with a BS degree in Advertising and Marketing Communications. Editor-in-Chief of W27, FITís student-run newspaper, Ms. DeSouza maintains a GPA of 3.71. Some of Ms. DeSouzaís many co-curricular achievements include serving as captain of FITís womenís tennis team, and authoring a 100-page novella along with three 20-page short stories during a semester-long independent study.
- Zara Khalid, from Scarsdale, NY, is graduating from FIT in May with a BS degree in Advertising and Marketing Communications. A Baker and NYS Diversity Scholarship recipient, Ms. Khalid maintains a GPA of 3.46. Some of Ms. Khalidís many co-curricular achievements include serving as a Student Ambassador and Resident Assistant at FIT, along with co-founding and serving as Editor-at-Large for Studentís Blog Magazine (Pakistan).
- Sanya Khanna, from Natick, MA, graduated from FIT in December 2013 with a BS degree in Advertising and Marketing Communications. Having served as the first Vice President of FITís Technology Student Association, Ms. Khanna maintained a GPA of 3.89. Some of Ms. Khannaís many co-curricular achievements have included regular volunteer work at New York KEEN (Kids Enjoy Exercise Now) and serving as Co-Founder, President, and Treasurer of FITís Multicultural Association of South Asians Living in America Club.